Skip to content

Trauma Anesthesiology

Anesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine and Pain Management

The Division of Trauma Anesthesiology is located at the Ryder Trauma Center, one of the foremost centers for research, evaluation, and treatment of advanced trauma and critical care support in the United States.

Ryder Trauma Faculty

The Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital is the only certified adult and pediatric Level One trauma center in South Florida. The free standing trauma facility is responsible for the care of more than 4,000 cases per year with a multidisciplinary team made of trained resuscitation specialists that includes an anesthesiologist/intensivist, a trauma surgeon, a neurosurgeon, a trauma nurse, and paramedical personnel. Other specialists such as trauma radiologists and orthopedic surgeons are also involved in the care of the trauma victims.

The center oversees the care of all trauma victims in Miami-Dade County. 70 percent of cases are the result of blunt trauma, typically from motor vehicle accidents, while the remaining 30 percent of the admissions include gunshot wounds, stabbings, and burns. All patients receive the most advanced treatment regardless of their ability to pay, making the Ryder Trauma Center the centerpiece of Miami-Dade County’s health system.

The trauma anesthesiologist has a key role in the successful resuscitation of the injured patient. The anesthesiologist is trained to give necessary critical care (e.g. advanced airway management, shock resuscitation, and interpretation of invasive monitoring) and can perform these functions continuously from arrival to the trauma center through the operating room and recovery units including the intensive care unit.

This specialized service started with the Ryder Trauma Center inception in 1992 and since then its reputation of excellence has reached worldwide attention. Visiting attendings and medical teams from Japan, England, Italy, Israel, France, Russia, the Caribbean, and Latin America are common in our 166,000 sq ft facility.

The mission of The Division of Trauma Anesthesiology is to provide state-of-the-art resuscitation, emergency intervention, medical treatment, intensive care, and anesthesia for trauma victims.