Sylvester Joins Elite Precision Medicine Group
The Personalized Medicine Coalition (PMC), a prestigious group representing innovators, scientists, patients, providers and payers, has invited Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center to join its membership.
“The invitation signifies their recognition of our strong work in this area,” said Jonathan C. Trent, M.D., Ph.D., Sylvester’s director of precision medicine. “We are honored to join the ranks of this elite organization as we strive to bring precision medicine to all of our cancer patients in South Florida.”
PMC promotes the understanding and adoption of personalized medicine concepts, services and products to benefit patients and the health system. Its members have identified key priorities in education:
• Educating the health care workforce and patients about personalized medicine’s potential to improve health outcomes and lower costs
• Educating policymakers about the potential of personalized medicine to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the health care system
• Uncovering the challenges to the clinical adoption of personalized medicine and outlining solutions to those challenges
Priorities in advocacy include:
• Promoting public policies that encourage investment in personalized approaches to care
• Devising a regulatory framework that accelerates the development of personalized medicine products
• Promoting reimbursement policies that will encourage the use of personalized medicine products in practice
Membership includes participation in events, and Sylvester clinicians and researchers will make presentations at PMC’s 13th Annual Personalized Medicine Conference, to be held November 14-16 in Boston.