Medical Space Planning
The Office of Medical Space Planning strives to be a professional, customer-focused, responsive, and effective provider of space planning services within a cooperative framework. OMSP serves as a liaison for all medical campus programs across the 5.2M square feet of facilities including academic, patient care, research and administrative space. OMSP is also tasked with providing strategic planning services that allocate space fairly and to ensure that it is utilized optimally.
- Serve as a resource between the University Medical programs and leadership
- Develop and implement research space utilization and productivity standards
- Develop and maintain space policies and procedures
- Participate in the University’s Capital planning efforts
Office of Medical Space Planning Staff Profiles
Susan C. Malaab
Director of Medical Space Planning
Susan Malaab is responsible for the Medical Space Planning Department, including but not limited to: the development and execution of space strategy and standards, the rationalization and optimization of space resources across the campus, develop and recommend space-driven solutions to administration, and ensure that the process of identifying space needs and solutions occur in a transparent and expeditious manner. Susan serves as a resource for all stakeholders of the University owned and occupied space. She serves as a liaison and facilitator between Medical space stakeholders and Medical administration. Susan interfaces with various university departments as she develops and implements space utilization and productivity standards. She participates in the University’s long-range capital planning efforts and works to guide future design and construction projects to ensure compliance with University standards.
Susan has over 25 years of planning and construction experience. She previously worked for Partners Healthcare System, the parent company of Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, MA.
Associate Director of Medical Space Planning
Andrea joined the University of Miami in 2015 as the Associate Director of the Office of Medical Space Planning for the Miller School of Medicine (MSOM). Andrea is responsible for the implementation of strategic space policy for the department, alongside the Director of Medical Space Planning. The purpose of the space policy for the MSOM is to ensure that the 5.2M square feet of space across the Medical Campus is allocated fairly and utilized optimally. Andrea has developed and implemented procedures and practices to improve the efficiency and consistency with the department’s strategic goals. She is also responsible for the oversight and management of all MSOM Medical Campus Space Planning initiatives working directly with all departments. The purpose of these programs is to analyze the use of space and funding support to develop solutions that will contribute to the success of these initiatives and to enhance current business practices.
Prior to joining the University in April of 2015, Andrea served as the Manager of the Research Space Management Group at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, which is affiliated with Harvard Medical School. The Research Space Management group is the foundation for all Research Space Planning decisions at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Miguel A. Romeu
Senior Planner of Medical Space Planning
Miguel A. Romeu is the Senior Space Planner for Medical Space Planning Office. He joined the University of Miami in 2000. Miguel works with the Director of Space Planning to structure and manage the programming and planning of projects to meet the University’s Medical Campus space needs. These projects range in type from research, education and patient care to support services.
Prior to joining the Space Planning Office in 2014, Miguel served as the AutoCAD Data Base Administrator for Facilities Design and Construction Department at the Medical Campus for over 14 years where he managed construction documents and drawings.
Miguel holds a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the Polytechnic Institute of Havana (CUJAE), Cuba.
The Office of Medical Space Planning works closely with the following departments to manage space requests, report on the utilization of the space, to resolve issues, and to support University leadership planning:
– The Design and Construction Department (DC) provides a variety of services and expertise in the management of capital improvement projects ranging from minor renovations to major new construction projects. The OMSP interfaces with the DC department for all projects where the program’s space assignment will change. Routine meetings and shared use of the web-based SharePoint site ensures that space issues and projects are managed in a timely manner.
– Office of Space Management & Analysis is the administrator for the USpace database. USpace is the University’s web-based system that enables its users to track and maintain their departmental spaces and the faculty and staff that occupy them. The OMSP utilizes the data for planning and reporting purposes, including the drawing library for all of the owned and leased premises. OMSP helps to ensure the accuracy of the University’s USpace system and floor plans with routine surveys of space.
– With the help of the office of Research Administration and the FRS (Financial Record System), OMSP can accurately analyze research space based on program quality, mission-relatedness, demonstrated need, and the availability of sponsored research support.
– The Real Estate Department is responsible for the acquisition of strategic assets, management of University owned property, and disposition of surplus gifted real and personal property. The department manages an extensive portfolio of commercial office, clinical, warehouse, and residential leases. All requests for new leased space should be directed to the OMSP.
– The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the maintenance and operations of all buildings at the Miller School of Medicine and many of the leased properties.
All requests for space planning services should be directed to the OMSP.
Office Location: Dominion Tower, 1400 NW 10th Avenue Suite 504 Miami Florida 33136
Susan C. Malaab
Director, Medical Space Planning
Associate Director, Medical Space Planning
Miguel A. Romeu
Sr. Space Planner – Office of Medical Space Planning
University of Miami – Miller School of Medicine
RESEARCH SPACE POLICY – IN CONSTRUCTION